The girl from Tripura, who is the country’s first woman gymnast to qualify for the Olypics, managed to perform her much-appreciated ‘Produnova’ vault cleanly to secure 14.850 points after two attempts.
It was a nervous wait for the Indian after that. She had ended sixth after the third of five subdivisions.
She dropped to eighth eventually when Canadian Shallon Olsen’s terrific effort of 14.950 rejigged the overall standings.
But that was just about enough to secure her a place in the finals scheduled for August 14 as the top-eight made the cut for the medal round.
Dipa secured 7.000 on difficulty and 8.1 on execution in her first attempt. Her score for difficulty was a tad lower at 6.000 in the second attempt.
She landed low on her Produnova vault in the first attempt, while her second vault was a ‘Tsuk double full twist’ with step to the side.
Six things to know about gymnast Dipa Karmakar
- Karmakar is only the fifth gymnast in history to successfully land the Produnova and score 15.100 (a combination of 7.000 points for difficulty, 8.100 for execution and 0.100 for penalty).
- Karmakar’s father is a weightlifting coach and has trained ‘lifters in the Andaman Islands.
- Karmakar began training age of 5 and till the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi she was training on irregular sized landing mats.
- Karmakar has flat feet.
- Dipa Karmakar has had only one coach–Bisbeshwar Nandi.
- Since 2007, Karmakar has won 77 medals including 67 golds, in various competitions (domestic and international).